My $9,224.40 water bill.

Forget being funny, this is serious now.  Remember my post a few months ago about my $758.93 water bill?  Child’s Play.  Last night I got a bill for $9,224.40!

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to my lawyer on April 23rd.

I started getting high water bills last July when my water bill was $497.  I assumed I had a leak, so I got a handyman  to come out and check everything.  The handle of my downstairs toilet was not as tight as it should be.  To be cautious, we replaced every part of both toilets except the toilets themselves.  We did all the handles and all the valve things inside that keep the water from leaking.  I also appealed that water bill.  I paid them $100 a month during the process of having this appealed the first time.  They turned down my appeal.  Basically they sent someone out to check my meter and said there was nothing wrong with the meter.  On October 13th I got a notice in the mail saying that my entire balance ($384.26) was due that day or they would turn off my water. I paid the bill.  By December 16th I had a $758.93 water bill.  We called the water department and worked out an agreement where I would pay them $120 a month until I could get a court date.  We decided that would be a slightly high but fair amount for me to pay.  That number was based on my neighbor down the street’s average monthly water bill (she has a family of 4). A few days later the water department came out and checked my meter again.  They said nothing was wrong with it.

I had the same handyman come out again and check the meter and both toilets and the sink and the dishwasher and the washing machine. All the connections were secure and the toilets were running the way the should.  Since December 16th I have given the water company $600. Last Friday I got a bill in the mail for 1,430.00 worth of past charges plus my bill for April, which was 1,155.82.  That brings the current amount I owe to 2,586.11.  After I got the bill last Friday I got an actual certified plumber to go by my house and confirm that there are no leaks.

I live alone, work all day. I probably spend, on average, 20-25 nights per month in my house…  for these purposes we will say I spend 25 nights a month there.   I have been keeping track of the average of how much water I use during a month.  See below.

Toilet Flushes: 4 per day, 100 per month

Showers.  I take one every day, and sometimes two a day if I work out.  Lets say I take 30-35 showers a month.

Baths.  I take around 5 a month.

Loads of laundry. 5 every two weeks, so 10 a month

Dishwasher runs.  I run the dishwasher about twice a week, so 10 times a month.

The only other water I use is to cook and drink, which should be fairly minimal.

I do not do any outdoor watering at all.

—END OF LETTER TO LAWYER.—

Before my hearing I spoke to the Public Relations Manager at the water department.  She said she agreed there was no leak at my house and said they would put a device on my meter to monitor the water usage hour by hour.

The hour by hour monitor was not put on before my hearing.

My lawyer and I went to to The Department of Watershed Management on April 30th.  We Sat in a room for three hours and got called into the meeting room.  We sat before a panel of five people.  One person form the Water Department and four citizens.  My lawyer and I explained my situation.  After we were finished the board decided to put the aforementioned monitor on my meter.  They also told me that I needed to get an additional “leak detection specialist” to come to my house and make sure there was no leak (even though I had bills from three plumbers saying there was no leak.)

After the hearing I researched leak detection specialists, and they cost @$500.  Since I had already spent so much on a lawyer and plumbers, I decided to wait and see what the monitor said.

My May bill came.  It was $175, which is still fairly high.  I called back the public relations manager to see what I should do moving forward.  The monitor was still not on my meter.  This time she told me that after looking at my consumption history, they decided THAT I HAD A LEAK IN THE PAST AND GOT IT FIXED!!  This is absolutely absurd.  I have no way of proving I did not get a leak fixed, BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE  A LEAK.  I expressed my frustration and asked if I could please just get a new meter.  She said no, but said that they would put on the monitor.

Last night I opened my mailbox and got a bill for $9,224.40.  $2,638.68 worth of past charges, and $6,705.72 worth of new charges.  The thing that is so frustrating is that IF I HAD A LEAK, and IF I had gotten it fixed, HOW WOULD MY BILL BE THIS HIGH?  Good news!  I looked at my meter AND THEY HAD ATTACHED THE MONITOR.  I am at the end of my rope and need help.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “My $9,224.40 water bill.”

1. katie o. June 20, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Oh Blayne, this is absolutely absurd. Aside from hiring a lawyer, I’m at a total loss. Sending good thoughts your way!

• Melanie June 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

In my district its $945 an acre-foot of water so for you to get that $6,705 bill for new charges you would have had to used 7 acre-feet of water or 2,280,957 GALLONS of water! Those lazy scheisters at the water company didn’t check anything! You need to go out and check your own meter that little indicator thing should be spinning like crazy for you to use that much water! Most households in our area use about 17,000 gallons a month. Even if you have outrageous rates say triple ours…you still could not use that much water!

I am going to send something to your water company…they should be harassed by the public until they fix it!

2. Laura Jens Sisino June 20, 2012 at 10:38 am #

OMG!! I am speechless…..I can not believe that there is not ONE single person at the Water Company that doesn’t say, “hmmmmm, this seems absurd. Let’s help this young lady”. WTH! I can not imagine what sort of frustration you are feeling. What the heck is going on? What happens if it is a leak from the main pipe? Is that possible? I will go out there and say I will contribute to your cause of hiring a “leak detection specialist” at $500 so this mysterious craziness can come to an end. Anyone else want to help? I had a similar situation with my gas tank (that an entire tank disappeared, as the gas company said, it was totally my fault). I would also right an article to the local newspaper to see if anyone else in the area has experienced such insanity like this. Hang tough. xo

• blayne June 20, 2012 at 10:44 am #

THANK YOU!!! I am sending this to a lot of media outlets to try to get some attention. This is absurd.

• Cortney Carey July 2, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Fighting the same fight.. Dekalb county, Brookhaven Commons Dr. normally bill is 60$ or so, now $1526.48. They are useless! Spending all my time calling, emailing, etc.. no resolution what so ever. I would LOVE to join your fight and expose them..

My email is email hidden; JavaScript is required

Keep the faith!

Cortney

• J.Kelley October 28, 2014 at 8:52 am #

We are getting very high water bill in Dekalb 700.00-800.00 how did you solve your problem? Is there a special company you used to check for leak? My plumber has checked three time. Help.

• J.Kelley October 28, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Help high water bill in Dekalb, how did ou solve your problem?

3. Cumby Hammock-Cobb June 20, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Call one of the consumer advocates or the NEWS channels – this is a HOT TOPIC to share! See you on the news!

4. Meagan June 20, 2012 at 10:53 am #

My boss had this happen to her. You just have to call and say you you want to appeal your water bill. They will send someone out to check your meter. Then you go online and do a written appeal. Then they will have you come in and you state your case. She successfully won her appeal and so did most people there. It takes a while though, but the quicker you are on it the better. She said you can call her if you need more info on how to get it done. Just email me and I’ll give you her number. This sucks!

• Boyd September 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

I have a problem with my dekalb water bill any help you can give me would be great thanks

5. Julie Bozeman June 20, 2012 at 11:02 am #

This is ridiculous, and I would contact the media, immediately. I have a large house with 5 people in it, and a pool. We had a huge leak underground, and only firgured it out when we got a $600 water bill, which we thought was ridiculous. Basically we figuerd out that with the leak we had replaced the pool weater every week for a month. So, there is no way that you are using that much water. However, we live in a different area than you, and we do not have one of those meters.

The media exposure will put this to a halt for you, and hopefully it will help someone else-maybe the water department. Go through TV, it is faster and more viral. Good luck.

6. Ayan June 20, 2012 at 11:02 am #

Contact your representative, stat.

7. Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Time to call in the media. Contact your local news reporter (TV, Newspaper.) I am sure this will make a great story and you will finally get the action you deserve.

8. Mumbz June 20, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Unbelievable. I hope you get to the bottom of it! How can anyone not see how absurd a $9,000+ water bill is.

9. Deb June 20, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Oh my gosh!!! I’ve been having the same problem on a much smaller scale. It’s just my husband and I in our home.

We grow roses and hydrangeas, so our summer water bills do tend to be on the high side…but just a base charge for water here is about $60 a month. That includes up to 4000 gallons…which should be enough for two people minus any outdoor watering.

Last October my husband became ill and was admitted to the hospital. He was in for the entire month of October, and I spent all of my days, and many of my nights, there with him. I ate all meals at the hospital, so I never ran the dishwasher that entire time. I washed a total of 4 loads of laundry during the month. No outside watering whatsoever…it was October, and I’m in ND…there’s nothing to water that time of year.

My water bill for that time period was $345! I was billed for 49100 gallons! I called city hall and told them there had to be an error. They sent someone to read the meter again, and told me it was correct. They said I must have a leak…seriously, if I had an extra 49000 gallons of water floating around my house somewhere, do they not think I would notice???

They refused to check to see if there was a problem with the meter…said that was impossible. I checked everything…there were no leaks and absolutely no movement on my meter from the time I left each day until I got back home. I finally just paid the bill…and my next month’s bill was back to normal.

But when I was telling my story to other people in my small town, I heard from several other people who had also received high bills over the course of the year…all of them for 49000 gallons! In each case it was a one-time thing…the months before and after were normal.

I still haven’t figured out what they’re doing…but I know something is definitely going on! This isn’t normal, and it’s not just a fluke…someone is doing something to cause this.

Good luck getting your problem straightened out! I hope you’ll let us know how this turns out. I can’t even imagine getting a water bill as big as yours!!!

10. Mary Ballard June 20, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I really feel for you!
    On the lighter side…(thinking a little humor might help you to get through this) did you see the email video or some clip on TV where a couple had the same problem and they finally made a video of the inside of their home to try figure out what was making their water bill so high. It was the CAT!! He would depress the flush handle and watch the water go down the bowl with fascination and repeat the process nearly all day long! Sure hope you don’t have a cat and sure hope you can get this resolved FAST!!! Best wishes to you…I love your sweet blogs and CONGRATULATIONS…you make a lovely couple!!

11. Linda @ A Toile Tale June 20, 2012 at 11:55 am #

This is one of the few improvements in my life that comes from moving from Buckhead to Cherokee County. My water bills were approaching $600/mo and they are now about $60! Do I miss Buckhead? You bet! But I do feel different when I open my water bill these days.
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

12. Sue Newman June 20, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Blayne,

You poor thing!!! I would definitely call one of the News channels. I think they would love this story. The whole situation is so unfair and it is just YOU against the Big Utility Company.

13. Rondina June 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Everyone is looking for a leak. You have no leak. You have a faulty meter.

14. Iris June 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

I am experiencing a similar problem at my apartment homewith sewer charges. I too live alone and have similar water use patterns as you. My bill has been going up evey single month since January 2012. I had them come in and fix 2 leaks at the beginning on May 2012 and I will be billed for May on July’s bill. Let’s see if the madness stops. While this is by no means $9,000., it is still an overcharge and oversight somewhere. Good luck to you in resolving this issue!

15. Angie June 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

I agree. I think you have a faulty meter. My husband is the manager at a water treatment plant for our county in Tennessee. If you kept your prior water bills, go back to the last normal bill you received and checks the meter number. Then, progress through each month after that and see that the numbers are actually increasing along with the bill cost. Also, to do a simple (but not fool proof) test of your meter, turn off your water supply into the house. There should be a valve where the water enters the house from the line at the meter. Then see if the numbers on the meter are still turning as if there is water turned on in the house. If the numbers are turning, I would suggest calling the water department again and have them send someone to check that the meter is in fact running without water actually being used.

I hate to mention it but my friend had a similar problem but on a smaller scale. Her house did not have a leak BUT there was a leak in the line from the meter to the house. Anything that is between the meter and the house is the responsibility of the homeowner. If there’s a problem with the meter or the line prior to the meter, it is the responsibility of the water department.

Hope that helps and I hope this resolves quickly!
    Angie

16. Ellen Reed June 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

NEWS story!!!!…..media love stories of the utilities not listening to common sense…..and sticking it to the little guy! call the TV station pronto, send them an email or the link to this post!….so sorry!

17. becky June 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

This literally made my stomach turn and made me think “oh thank god that’s not me,” which is totally selfish, and it easily could be, as I live in Atlanta too. I really feel for you. If this company did not have a monopoly, they’d be out of business in a week; it’s really disgusting how they treat their customers and it makes me very angry. I hope to see you on 11 Alive soon getting justice and embarrassing the inept, corrupt and lazy people you have dealt with thus far.

18. Sabrina June 20, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

I honestly am speechless after reading this…. I know this doesn’t help, but I really am sorry and frustrated for you… It’s almost laughable (in a “im about to lose it” way) that the water company can say you are consuming so much water… I really hope you are able to get to the bottom of this and once it’s resolved, you have a $15,000 credit with the water company…. Good luck!!! I’ll be thinking of you when I get my water bill!

19. Alexis Spade June 21, 2012 at 12:13 am #

My good friend is a sr. editor at HLN (headline news) here in Atlanta and i’m sending to him this ASAP. Not only is it absurd but the time and energy to deal with someone else’s incompetency is disheartening. Alexis Spade

• Cortney Carey July 2, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Alex,

Can you please forward my information as well. I am in the same boat ($1526.48, Dekalb Co., Brookhaven Commons Drive).. Maybe power in numbers? I can not get ANY resolution, they are the biggest bunch of losers ever!!!
      Thanks,

Cortney
      404.353.3911

20. Angie June 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

I’m praying for a speedy solution in your favor! I cannot even imagine trying to deal with this. I’m so sorry you have to deal with it!

Best of luck to you!

21. Philip June 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Wow- that is c r a z y !

I assume you’ve had your handyman and then your plumber double check that no water is moving in the meter when everything is turned off in the house? Sounds simple, but is an easy way to confirm that you aren’t filling some cavern under your house.

Time to start thinking outside the box….are you sure there isn’t some commercial meter nearby yours which otherwise may be giving them a false reading for your account when they drive by with their little wireless readers?

What about asking them to swap out the transponder that sends the reading of your meter to their truck? Perhaps it is haywire.

These are the only types of plausible explanations I can contemplate, but I’ll keep thinking.

• cecilia June 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Good idea. My mother paid the neighbors electricity bill for 3 years! Family of 5 verses a family of 2. We only discovered this by accident, or it would have continued for years.

22. K. Alford June 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Maybe someone will take your case pro-bono? Have you tried contacting these folks?: http://www.vlany.org/legalservices/vladirectory.php

Although it’s not directly an arts related case, maybe they’ll take an interest.

Don’t despair. Keep fighting…

23. G June 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

If you have not done so, contact the Governor’s Office of Consumer Protection. Were they to intercede on your behalf, it could help stay these excessive charges and expedite problem resolution.

24. Glenn June 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Wow I look forward to seeing how this plays out this is outrageous!!!

25. Robert of RJC CONSTRUCTION June 28, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Turn off all water, and check to see if your meter is still turning. Many times the feed pipe from the meter to the main house is ruptured unde ground. If the meter turns when you aren’t using water, you need to have your plumber dig up the main feed line and replace it.

Robert J
    RJC CONSTRUCTION
    Contractor

26. Donna June 28, 2012 at 5:23 am #

I used to work for a water authority in the billing department and after looking at the photos on your prior post, I am a little dumbfounded. If I was reading it correctly..is your meter reading in the 300’s? If so, did they install a new meter prior to this huge billing crisis? If so, it could be a clerical error since it is easy to mess up billings with new meters. If not, I will give you the advice that I gave my customers when similar issues occured, of course not 9,000 dollars worth, we would have NEVER let it go that far without correction. But get you a notebook and document your water meter readings twice a day making sure that you include dates and times, then when your next bill comes out if it is outragous, compare the readings with the water authority readings. We actually caught a meter reader who was just jotting down random numbers through this process, so the error could very well be with the employees who will do EVERYTHING in their power to cover up their wrongdoings to save their job. Your usage chart shows a leak in July but it is obvious that the leak was fixed due to such LOW usage in August and September. So, once the original July payment was made your bill should have gone back to normal..its just that simple. Unless another huge spike in your usage chart suggested another leak later on, you should not be getting a huge bill. And a leak is very easy to detect, if the little red triangle on your meter is spinning fast, you have a leak. The meter shows everything.

27. lisa June 28, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Being a meter reader I would like to suggest something you can check yourself, be sure All sources of running water are off in and out of your house, no faucet running , dishwasher, ect. . Locate your water meter and open the lid, on the face of the meter is a small red triangle or a small dial with an arrow they will not be moving if you have no leak, watch for about 5 to 10 minutes. Also something to concider, has there been any new construction near your property, they may have damaged your in line at a spot not in your yard. I worked with a local restaurant for months because of the same type problem only to find that our billing dept. had transposed some of the reading numbers. Wish a speedy resolution, keep fighting! You should also have a brass handle on your side of the meter( everything past the meter going to your house is “your side”), you can turn off the water going to your house from here, it’s pain to do every day but it might help to keep things in check until the Real problem is solved. Hope this is some help.

28. Lori June 28, 2012 at 11:09 am #

In 2006 we had a similar situation and a few people on our street also had outrageous water bills, ours ranged anywhere from $200-$600 a month and, like you, we tried everything. They said there was no leak and they wouldn’t help us, didn’t even offer the monitor. We ended up going to the mayor and he spoke to the head of the water company, who finally helped us – whereas before he wouldn’t. I recommend doing something like that, but you could also get the media involved. I think the water company should reimburse you also. Good luck!

29. Libby June 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

I feel so bad for you, especially since I can totally relate! I just opened two bills from my local water co. in New Haven, CT, yesterday morning. One says that I have an overdue balance of $60.66, but I paid $59.78 on May 26 online, and the other states that my water usage has increased 2560% over this time last year, and the charge is $465.68! There is no way in the world this can be accurate! My family and I have not changed our water use habits, and I am not watering my lawn or anything, so nothing can be attributed to this dramatic increase! Here’s to both of us resolving this insanity! Good luck; let me know how it goes!

30. Joe June 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Make sure the meter # is correct. I had my gas meter # switched with my neighbor’s so I paid for his bill for months before I found out that there was a problem for sure when I was away for a month for work. Make sure the per cubic price is correct and check if the high price is due to high usage or the wrong pricing. Check if the meter # is correct and whether the reading matches up with your bill for the past months. Good luck!

31. Will June 29, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I have worked for a municipality for 29 years and I think this is outrageous. If you ever have an issue with high water usage, turn off the valve at the meter when not using water and see if the usage drops. If your meter is in the house you can check for leaks very easy. 1. stools 2. dripping faucets 3. water softeners, (bypass to eliminate for a while) If the meter is outside in a meter pit, check for wet spots in they yard from the meter to the house. A water leak in the service line can leak without coming to the surface, but depending on soil type.. Look at the dial on the meter. If everything is off, the dial should not turn. Read the meter when you leave in the morning and check if later in the day before using water. it should be the same.
    There are numerous things the water co. should of checked or talked to you about checking. I think they could be negligent in not helping their customer fin the problem.

32. Erin July 3, 2012 at 12:08 am #

I saw the headline on AOL and was going to send it your way…then I read it and saw that you were mentioned. Did this resolve anything? Did you contact the local news? Send us an update!!

33. SOME ONE WHO WORKS AT A WATER DEPT. October 3, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Don’t waiste time or money. The lawyer will not get you anywhere, and neither will the people here, unless they have the technical knowledge about water consumption, metering and billing. The media wont do anything for you either….. all counties are always on the news for something, to the point that it does not matter to anyone in these departments anymore. It just add more aggravation and animosity towards the customer. Your bill is based on your consumption, not your neighbors or your neighborhood. Comparing is a waste of time.

These are the possibilites:

1 – The water went thru the meter, either by use or leak. A good idea would be to hire the services of a Leak Specialist. They have the electronic equipment to find possible leaks. Not just a plumber, but a reputable Leak Specialist. This is only if you are absolutely certain that the water was not used (either intentionally or not, it could be a spigot inadvertedly left unnatended by your yard people).

2- There could be reading errors. You must find out if your readings are electronic or manual. Either way, there is room for error if the reader entered the wrong reading, thus affecting your bill.

3-Assuming that you have an old style meter -those that look like car odometers with needles in -, the meter could not have speed up and registered so much consumption. When meters fail, they slow down and aventually stop. I am specifically talking about old style meters. If your meter is a new style meter, and electronic too, those do not fail. They are misread and they could be damaged when installed, but those meters do not operate with any mechanical devices inside them. They are electronic, so the margin of error is absolutely minimal to non existent, believe it or not.

4- Ensure that your meter number is correct. Sometimes the readers go chek the gas meter or the power meter rather than the water meter. It sounds stupid but it happens.

5- Check for leaks yourself – go to your meter and check the reading. Write down all digits in the dial. Leave your house for a couple of hours, ensuring that no one is using the water. When you come back, read the meter again, and compare the previous numbers VS. those that you just wrote. A difference in the digits will indicate usage. You can also determine how much usage by checking how large is the difference between the before and after readings.
    Drop some food coloring in the toilet tanks. Without flushing, and after 30 minutes, if the coloring made it to the bowl, that is an indication of a running toilet. The obvious things to check are running faucets, shower heads, etc.

6- Once you have completed your due dilligence, go to the water dept. and ask to talk to the director. they should be able to do their part in checking and investigating and come to a favorable resolution. Always be reasonable and not combative. It may take time and effort, and honestly, it will be frustrating, but do not give in or give up. Remember that you will have to pay for YOUR consumption, and not the excess. Do not seek any type of additional reimbursement or relief, it will not happen, per internal policies of all municipalities. Be courteous and thruthful and you will see results. If the director does not solve yor issue, escalate.

I hope I was of assistance.

P.S. This is my sincere advise to the author of the original post. I really do not care and I am not interested in comments from anyone else who may seem offended or may think otherwise of my statements.

34. livia October 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

My friend is going through this same thing! What wound up happening after your appeal??

35. Suzette November 23, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Blayne:

In the year 2012, the owner of a building about 30 feet away from our business building experienced a mysterious event for months.

The monthly water bill shot up and the amount was continuously skyrocketing.
    I joined the search. Checked everything. Hired a plumber. Found no leak. Several people joined a search and continued checking. Found nothing. While the search was ongoing the water bill continued outrageously high.

One night in bed I thought about it because it was so mysterious.
    Then I came up with an idea.
    “The leak must be somewhere that is “not” obvious and “not”visible”
    It must be UNDERGROUND.

Next day I suggested the crew to check under the ground.
    Voila! They found it! Following day one of the search crew members told me that they had located about 15 feet to the entrance of their building.

All the usable water had been wasted under the ground!

Blayne, I do recommend you to check UNDER GROUND
    if you have not done so,

36. John December 11, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Hi,

Today is 12/11/13. I’m in my home office waiting for a call from Dekalb County Watershed Customer Service. I’m 5 days into this inflated water bill adventure. The Customer Service agent said they would take this to the Adjustment Dept. to see what they could do. My bill was nothing compared to yours. It went from @$125 a month to the current bill of $310. Yours is/was a horror story.

In 10 years, my wife and I have never had a problem with our bill, until now. In researching this I found the central problem to be the Water Dept. is ESTIMATING these bills. They’re not taking actual physical, eye on the meter readings. And with what I’ve read from others in Dekalb County and in Atlanta, it seems like they’re just pulling numbers out of a hat.

The whole “you have a leak” thing seems to be just a tactic to distract you, wear you down, until you pay.

I’ll post back after they (hopefully) call.

Hope your situation was resolved in your favor.

John

• Sheila February 18, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

John,
      I had this same problem. Did you get any resolve?

Sheila

37. ASAD January 10, 2014 at 9:50 am #

It’s almost easy job if you want to check your meter by yourself
    Just follow these stages:
    1- Close all the tabs in your house
    2- Check your water meter if it is working or not. You can wait for a time (for example one hour) to get sure that if there is any leakage in your house. Note that the small red indicators in water meter dial are used for this purpose.
    3- Prepare a ccontainer with capacity of 4 liters (or one gallon). Big vegetable cooking oil or other same container is enough.
    4- Read your meter subdivision (you may need to surfer on internet for learning how to read your meter. I think your meter would be in Gallon( instead of Liter)
    5- Fill about 25 times you container and count total reference volume of water passed from your water meter: Hear is 25 Gallons. Note : more times ensure your test accuracy)
    6- Read you meter again and check the water consumption indicated by water meter.
    7- The maximum differences (error) should around plus –minus 3 presents for a normal meter.
    8- You can re-test your meter by doing this operation 3 times to make sure about your test.
    If you need and help please contact me: email hidden; JavaScript is required.
    If you send me an illustrative Photo of your meter Dial plate, I will be able to send you more guidance how to read your meter.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. One of our cases in the Atlanta news: Beacham vs. City of Atlanta Department of Watershed | hollanlaw - June 20, 2012

[...] http://www.thisphotographerslife.com/2012/06/my-9224-40-water-bill.html Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]